Legacy Tree Genealogists (https://legacytree.com) is a full-service genealogy firm that discovers ancestry for clients worldwide. As the highest-rated genealogy research firm in the world, we are rapidly expanding and are looking for editorial professionals to join our quality assurance team.
This position will start part-time working gradually up to full-time (usually two months' transition). The position is work-from-home/remote, with PTO, holiday pay, and 401k salary matching available. Medical insurance is available for full-time employees. Though we are based in Salt Lake City, Utah, residence here is not required. This position is open to U.S. residents.
**Please apply only if you have a strong background in both research and writing.**
Job Responsibilities/Performance Requirements
- Review and edit research reports for accuracy, style, grammar, and proper research methodology according to industry standards
- Ensure products meet company standards for writing and formatting
- Prepare and provide constructive feedback to writers
- Collaborate with quality assurance and research team members on product development and improvement initiatives
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date project records
- Attend regular team meetings and company training
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications
- 2+ years of editorial experience
- Exceptional technical writing and editing skills in the English language
- Extensive genealogical or historical research skills in multiple subject areas with the ability to spot methodological problems and provide suggested solutions
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style
- Self-led and independent work ethic
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and adhere to company formatting styles and preferences
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, particularly Microsoft Word as used for editing electronically, and online tools such as Dropbox and OneDrive
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Reliable, daily access to computer with internet and a quiet, distraction-free work space
- 5+ years of editorial experience
- Previous experience with genealogy research for clients, especially writing professional analytical and narrative reports
- Formal training in writing or editing.
- Experience with RootsMagic
- Microsoft Office suite
- RootsMagic (free version is fine)
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit an application and writing sample. Short-list candidates may be asked to edit a sample report.
Questions can be directed to email@example.com. Thank you for applying to join us!
Legacy Tree Genealogists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We appreciate diversity, hire based solely on merit, and strive to create a working environment of inclusivity for all our team members.